The first carnival in Hedge End was in 1921, and this became the start of a great tradition.
The main aims then were the same as they are now, to bring the community together to have a great time and raise money for good causes. In 1921, the main beneficiaries would be medical charities. Before the days of the National Health Service medical treatment was difficult for poor people to obtain and most of the people of Hedge End were poor.
The carnival was centred on the Recreation Ground in St. John's Road where the procession still starts. The festivities were held on a Saturday in August when Mr. Bartlett, (who owned the roundabout), could get here. When the playing field in Upper Northam Road was purchased, the entertainment moved there with the fair in the next field.
When the Carnival started again in 1947 after the Second World War, the first Carnival Queen, Eileen Haines, was chosen.
Prefabs had been built on the fair field so the fair moved onto the playing field. Within a few years, the first Saturday in July had been chosen as the regular date.
Note: We are looking for interesting information, photographs, etc., about the Carnival from years gone by. Please e-mail anything of interest to email@example.com. We hope to collate this information and publish on the web-site for future generations.....